If you can’t send or receive emails on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, read the below article for what to do to resolve it manually.
At before you start the process, you must know about iOS backups made in iCloud and iTunes back up your mail settings, but not your emails. If you delete or change your email account settings, previously downloaded emails might be removed from your iOS device. When you’re ready, try the steps below.
Make sure that your device can connect to the Internet:
To see if your device has an internet-data or Wi-Fi connection, go to Safari and open any webpage, like www.apple.com.
Check the Outbox for unsent emails:
If you see a message that says your email wasn’t sent, then that email goes to your Outbox. Check your Outbox and try to send the email again:
- In Mail, tap Mailboxes in the upper-left corner.
- Tap Outbox. If you don’t see an Outbox, then your email was sent.
- Tap an email in the Outbox. Make sure that the recipient’s email address is correct.
- Tap Send.
Check your email address and password:
If Mail asks you to enter a password for your email account, make sure that your password is correct. To check your email address and password, sign in to your email provider’s website.
If you still get a username or password error, contact your email provider or system administrator.
Check your settings:
When you set up your email account on your device, iOS automatically uses the correct account settings for many email providers.
To make sure that your account settings are correct, compare the settings in the Mail app to the settings for your email account:
- Go to Settings > Passwords & Accounts and tap your email account.
- Tap your email address next to Account to see the account information, such as the incoming and outgoing mail servers.
- Check the recommended settings for your email account in the Mail Settings Lookup tool and make sure that they’re the same as what you see on your screen. If you don’t see the settings for your email account, contact your email provider or system administrator.
If you have a POP3 email account, then you can only check email on one device at a time. Close other email programs and sign out of webmail sites that you have open. To check if your email is a POP3 account, go to Settings > Passwords & Accounts, tap your account, tap Account, then look for the label POP Account Information. You can also check the recommended email settings for your POP3 email account in the Mail Settings Lookup tool.
Still, need help to fix sending or receiving email problems on iPhone or iPad.
Contact your email provider or system administrator:
- Contact your email provider or check their status webpage to see if there’s a service outage.
- Ask your email provider or system administrator if you turned on any security features or restrictions, like two-step verification, for your email account. You might need a special password or may need to request authorization from your email provider to send and receive email on your device.
- Check your email account settings with your email provider or system administrator to make sure that they’re correct.
Remove your email account and set it up again:
- On your computer, sign in to your email provider’s website. Make sure that all of your emails are there or make sure that your email is saved somewhere other than your iOS device.
- On your iOS device, go to Settings > Passwords & Accounts.
- Tap the email account that you want to remove.
- Tap Delete Account.
- Add your account again.